SOUTH ISLAND NEW ZEALAND is our destination today. Due to the bigger landmass of the two main islands in New Zealand, the South Island (Te Waipounamu) is very famed for its majestic pure landscapes giving it a variety of breathtaking glaciers, mountains, and lakes.
Although you may be questioning now: “What’s the distinction between the two islands?” Exactly. The way in which I see it, the North Island (Te Ika-a-Māui) holds a better standard of Māori tradition and geothermal wonders — whereas the South Island is predominant.
Being stated that, there may be a variety of spectacular actions you can examine off in your bucket list right here. Actually, to make it hassle-free for you, I’ve listed below the best to do’s and places to visit during your journey to New Zealand within the South Island! One of the best half…? You are able to do most of these epic acts for those who are a part of a street journey with wild Kiwi!
1.Stepping into Fiordland National Park
Fiordland National Park is a well-known UNESCO World Heritage site.
I personally visited Milford Sound by doing a scenic cruise by its waters, and also, you wager that I had a great time witnessing the Mitre Peak within distance in addition to the two majestic waterfalls: Girl Bowen Falls and Stirling Falls.
Although the reality is advised, the path to Milford Sound with Wild Kiwi, we needed to make so many stops alongside the way as a result of the encircling terrain which was far too breathtaking — you’ll perceive what I imply while you get to this nationwide park by your self!
2. A discover to Marlborough Sounds
With the discover on the northern part, the Marlborough Sounds is a group of historic sunken river valleys that you simply want to incorporate in your things to do in the South Island! A number of notable ones are doing the Queen Charlotte Monitor, driving down the French Go, swimming with dolphins, or simply cruising across the Marlborough Sounds.
3.Expertise to natural spas
The North Island also has geothermal spas. However, the South Island has its personal specialities too.
- Welcome Flat Sizzling Swimming pools: It takes a little bit of a hike by Copland Monitor to achieve this place however you’ll certainly be rewarded by beautiful alpine views alongside the path. There you’ll have the swimming pools to get pleasure from that really vary temperature and might accommodate as much as 10 to 12 individuals.
- Hanmer Springs Thermal Swimming pools: It is a thermal pool. It’s a straightforward 90-minute drive from Christchurch! An incredible place to indulge, there are a number of swimming pools so that you can get pleasure from those sulfur swimming pools, water jets, rock swimming pools, and so on!
- Franz Josef Glacier Sizzling Swimming pools: After a day of mountain climbing, reward yourself with a soothing dip within the Franz Josef Glacier Sizzling Swimming pools. This will open till 9:00 pm and you’ll select to soak in one of the three primary outside swimming pools that vary from 36 to 41 levels Celsius (if you would like privateness, there are personal swimming pools as well).
- Onsen Sizzling Swimming pools: If you’d like one thing splendid, the Onsen Sizzling Swimming pools in Queenstown shall be your finest. With its extraordinary location that overlooks the Shotover River canyon, you might assure a great rest with a good view.
4. Go Fishing
Well-known for its plentiful wildlife and wealthy sea assets, Kaikoura is a best choice vacation spot for those in search of superb fishing expertise! So get experience with a particular tour, to Kaikoura’s fishing grounds.
Relaxation is assured, you’ll be with an educated captain who will let you know the right way to fish; however, who can even inform you concerning the city’s well-known crayfish/lobsters.
It would certainly be all easy, although with the electrical reels that they’ve got to snap some pictures to commemorate the incident! (You can even possibly be fortunate and end up with swarmed by dolphins or seals whereas out within the sea!).
By the tip of the tour, you may select to launch your catch again to the ocean or have them bagged so you may take them to the dwelling to cook dinner.
5.Going for an up high
Because of the breathtaking landscapes, New Zealand has an utmost admiration, this is a MUST to do out of your list in South Island!
- Sky diving: Dive with highly-trained skydiving instructors. It’s positive expertise that can make you speechless.
- Gondola Experience: For less thrilling expertise, you may also get 360-degree panoramic views of the South Island by taking a gondola experience, and so far, you may both do that in Queenstown or Christchurch.
- Sizzling Air Balloon Experience: Even though you like one thing a bit distinguishable but nevertheless enjoyable, choose to do a dawn scorching air balloon experience over Queenstown in the aim to see the Southern Alps and Lake Wakatipu in its golden glory. Perhaps, it may include a champagne breakfast containing pastries, fruits, and tasty drinks.
6.Going for a jump
You can perform Bungy jump in the following locations of South Island Newzealand.
- Kawarau Bridge Bungy: This is stated to be the world’s 1’s t business Bungy jump, the place you get to leap 43 meters off from the Kawarau Bridge.If you wish to share the fun, you may also have a tandem Bungy jump
- Nevis Bungy: This is New Zealand’s highest Bungy jump because it stands 134 meters over the Nevis River as such, You’re fortunate to have this as a treasured reminiscence!
- The Ledge Bungy: With this exercise, you may jump above Queenstown. Because it has a full-body harness, you have the liberty to select several forms of jumps (they have a ‘Leap Menu’), or you may invent/freestyle by yourself.
7. Have a swing!
It is a bit like doing a Bungy jump and you can perform in the following locations in South Island Newzealand.
- Nevis Swing: You’ll stand 160 meters above the Nevis River, after that you’ll drop to swing throughout the canyon at 120kph! With 300m arcs, you may turn ahead. Backwards, in tandem or ‘back2back’. Both means, they have a ‘Leap Menu’ so that you can select from it to double your enjoyment!
- The Ledge Swing: Like the Ledge Bungy, that is situated on the prime of Queenstown’s Skyline Gondola, and it’ll set you flying 400 meters throughout and over Queenstown. Hurry Up!!
There are numerous things to do in South Island that can allow you to undergo exhilarating and fast expertise.
- Luge: Comparing to a mixture between a go-kart (without the engine) and a toboggan (without the snow), “Luge” is an enjoyable and fast-paced journey exercise in Queenstown that’s nice for individuals of all ages! I loved this a lot, and it’s a match for any age, so go and take this chance.
- Shotover Jet Boat: That is an adrenaline-pumping exercise that was discovered by New Zealand. So for those who like pace (at 85kph!), spins, and thrills mixed with marvellous water surroundings in Shotover River, occurring a jet boat exercise shall be valued whereas!
- Kawarau Zipride: Need to know the way how it feels, prefer to fly down like a superman? With Kawarau’s three 130-meter ziplines, you may do this! Select from a solo or tandem experience to maximize the push.
- Kayaking: There are numerous kayaking alternatives within the South Island Newzealand, whereby you may wonder with nature’s wildlife in addition to its spectacular coastal formations in clear subtropical waters.
A number of the most exceptional locations to visit are in Nelson Lakes nationwide park, Marlborough Sounds, Lake Tekapo, and Abel Tasman nationwide park and many other.
8.Chase After Waterfalls, Rivers, Gorges & Lakes
With New Zealand’s majestic pure terrain, there may be a stunning waterfall or lake close. You’ll get many more chances to experience the pure cascades of water.
- Lake Matheson: This lake presents awe-inspiring mirror reflections of Mt. Cook dinner (the very best mountain in New Zealand) and Mt. Tasman.
- Lake Tekapo: This is situated towards the South-West of Christchurch within the Mackenzie Basin, Lake Tekapo is a sight to behold with its milky-turquoise waters and delightful flora. Close by the shores of the lake; additionally, you will discover the ‘Church of the Good Shepherd,’ which is a well-liked photograph spot for guests.
- Lake Wanaka: That is New Zealand’s 4th largest lake, and lots of people get pleasure from kayaking, jet-boating, rafting and swimming in its clear waters. Don’t neglect to identify the well-known ‘Wanaka Tree’.
- Lake Pukaki: A surprising blue lake set in an alpine playground with Mt. Cook dinner.
- Hokitika Gorge: You’ll fall in love with its fairly blue-green waters, which are surrounded by lush native bush.
- Purakaunui Falls: That is an unbelievable cascading 3-tiered waterfall on the Purakaunui River and it’s arguably the most photographed waterfall in Caitlins Forest Park!
- Fantail Falls: A 23-meter waterfall that’s nestled inside Mt. Aspiring nation wild park alongside the Haast Freeway.
- Thunder Creek Falls: A 96 meters waterfall. This waterfall can also be in Mt. Aspiring nation wild park.
- Pelorus Bridge: You’ll discover a little bit of centre-earth on this spot as a result of that is genuinely the filming location within the scene of “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug” when the dwarves had been floating in barrels down a river.
South Island Newzealand has a few of the world’s most fulfilling trails akin to.
- Queen Charlotte Monitor: This monitor stretches 70 kilometres from the Meretoto Ship Cove to the Anakiwa within the Grove Arm of Queen Charlotte Sound. That is, undoubtedly, a critical Marlborough tramping (strolling) or biking expertise.
- Otago Central Rail Path: That is stated to be the path that impressed the start of the New Zealand Cycle Path community.
- Beautiful Style Path: It is a leisurely monitor that goes by Nelson, Wakefield, Richmond, Motueka, and Kaiteriteri. You’ll love the wineries, boutiques and quaint cities that the area has.
- Queenstown Path: As you’d anticipate, these trial goals focus on the perfectness of Queenstown because it hyperlinks the Arrowtown and Gibbston Valley.
- Ocean Cycle Path: That is New Zealand’s longest cycle path of 306km because it begins from the foot of Mt. Cooke and ending up on the Pacific Ocean shores in Oamaru. You’ll definitely enjoy the rivers, glacier-carved valleys, lakes, and plains during this journey.
All through your street journey, remember to do several stops alongside during your South Island Newzealand journey. A number of the critical locations apart from Christchurch and Queenstown.
- Wanaka: A resort city well-known for its lake, ‘Wanaka Tree’, and the spread of enjoyable actions.
- Punakaiki: The city’s spotlight is its ‘Punakaiki Pancake Rocks,’ limestones which have eroded over tens of millions and now appear like pancake stacks.
- Picton: A captivating little city that’s the primary gateway between the North and South Island in addition to inlets of the Marlborough Sounds.
- Central Otago: In case you’re into wineries, this must be a place that you should keep in mind.
10. Try a quad bike
This may be perfectly enjoyable. You can have on ‘mini’ 4 wheels!
With the assistance guides, you may undergo close by trails in Queenstown for over 2.5 hours to get pleasure from panoramic views, splash over puddles and fly over hills. And at the end of the journey, you’ll sit down and chill out with scorching drinks from the surrounding terrain. How do you feel about a strange trip?
11. Let’s enjoy some glaciers and snow
Naturally, if you would like for ‘chilling’ expertise, the South Island has no scarcity of such selections to supply.
- Franz Josef Glacier Heli Hike: Via this once-in-a-lifetime tour, you’ll go on an exhilarating helicopter experience and do a 3-hour hike probably the most superior glacier’ ice structure’.
- Franz Josef Glacier Valley Stroll: This is an exercise that you will need to do when you’ve got decreased funds or if the climate turns out to be unhealthy (and you’ll do a heli hike).
- Fox Glacier Heli Hike: In case, you moderately wish to witness the glacier to the South, this heli hike tour to Fox Glacier is a choice.
- Cardrona Alpine Resort: This is undoubtedly one of New Zealand’s hottest ski areas. Irrespective of, when you’ve got no prior expertise, you may get pleasure from and discover ways to ski.
In addition, there are new and intermediate ranges to select from. For individuals who are superior skiers, don’t fret as a result of the resort has in-depth services and Olympic halfpipes. Eat, eat,eat….
In New Zealand definitely, you have to try these foods.
- Afghans: Crunchy chocolate cookies.
- Crayfish: In case you’re from Philippine like me, spending out about NZ$80 maybe like overkilling, however,
New Zealand fishermen satisfied themselves when catching this, so give it a strive!
- Fish and chips: This may not be unique for New Zealand, but it’s surely an important and a part of the native meals.
- Hokey Pokey: A vanilla ice cream blended with caramelized sugar.
- L&P (Lemon & Paeroa): It is a soft drink that’s proudly made by Kiwis. I’m not into delicate drinks however I like this for its lemon candy style.
- Lamb: This meat is cheaper within the nation in spite of everything, the sheep inhabitants are more significant than New Zealand’s human inhabitants!
- Manuka honey: You’ll discover lots of things in New Zealand blended with this, and it is smart to deliver dwelling a jar as a souvenir too.
- Pavlova: I’m in LOVE with this meringue dessert which has a crispy outer layer and tender inside core.
- Meat or mince pie: Kiwis love their mince pies, and that is mainly a pastry full of meat and gravy.
- Whitebait fritter: A form of omelette blended with small juvenile fish.
12.Going for a mountain climbing or trekking/tramping
- Hooker Valley Monitor: As a whole, I loved mountain climbing (or else tramping as Kiwis call it) by this observation as it provides awe-inspiring landscapes that had been backdropped by the Southern Alps.
- Abel Tasman Coastal Monitor: Spanning at about 60 kilometres, this spectacular path takes you through pristine seashores, dramatic rock formations and the wildlife of Abel Tasman nation wild park.
- Kaikoura Peninsula Walkway: It is a 3-hour scenic hike stuffed with clifftop views and wild animals (in reality, you may sight seabirds and seals up shut!) as you cross the peninsula to South Bay. In case you don’t have three hours, there are smaller hikes or detours alongside so that you can do them.
13.Climbing South Island New Zealand mountains and summits
With the South Island’s topography, it is the best to reap the benefits of the marvellous summits that it has
- Aoraki / Mt Cook dinner: As New Zealand’s highest mountain, you shouldn’t skip out on this magnificence. When you have additional time, go to Mt. John Observatory to witness clear starlit skies on this planet’s largest Darkish Sky Reserve.
- Mount Alfred: Discovered on the northern finish of Lake Wakatipu, this can be a standard four to 6-hour day hike, which begins from the carpark in Glenorchy-Routeburn Street.
- Roy’s Peak: This mountain stands between Wanaka and Glendhu Bay, and lots of guests have begun to present this place a substantial amount of consideration given the fantastic views over Lake Wanaka, Mount Aspiring/Tititea and the encircling bay that it offers from the highest.
14. Go off-road with a 4×4 journey
In this 4×4 tour as you can travel throughout the rugged landscapes, dust roads and winding paths around Queenstown. This is one of the awesome things to do in South Island Newzealand.
With this 4×4 tour, there may be genuinely a selection, so that you can both do a Skippers Canyon or Macetown journey.
The previous journey takes you alongside steep roads into sheer cliff faces, suspension bridges and steep canyons. In contrast, the latter takes you to the deserted gold mining city of Macetown, some heritage websites and a few filming areas for LOTR.
15.Witnessing the wildlife
In the South Island New Zealand, you can enjoy wildlife activities at the following locations.
Marlborough Sounds Round its terrain and in Queen Charlotte Sound, it’s relatively typical to identify animals akin to dolphins, penguins, shags, seals, and whales of their pure atmosphere.
- Stewart Island: In case you like birds, this place is dwelling to the most significant and most numerous inhabitants within the nation. A few of those you can see are kiwis, penguins, albatrosses, wekas, and kakas.
- Kaikoura: As I’ve beforehand talked about this entry, this city is dwelling to a wealthy marine life and you’ll get pleasure from several actions akin to: whale watching from an aeroplane, whale watching from a boat, swim with dolphins, dolphin watching from a cruise, Albatross watching from a boat, etc.
This is our travelling experience to Newzealand. Hope you all enjoyed the article as your own experience. If so please comment below. We invite you all to read our previous articles as well. Hope to bring you another tremendous experience as soon as possible.